Sunday, September 7, 2008

Toe Buddies

When was the last time you just played? I mean like totally silly-play. It feels great to let go and do things that defy what we are supposed to or not supposed to do (within reason). This is a blog about a time when we made what we, affectionately call Toe Buddies.

One day, I was sitting in the living room on one end of the sofa, with our daughter Emily who was facing me on the other end. We each had our legs sprawled out along the length of the sofa and her legs were on top of mine. I got a bright idea and grabbed the fine-tipped marker sitting on the coffee table within my reach. Taking hold of her foot, with a devilish grin and smiling eyes, I uncapped my marker. She knew I was up to something and she liked it. Knowing that surely something interesting was about to happen, she openly engaged giving me full-reign of her limbs, with that sure sign of wide, anticipating eyes. I hesitated only long enough to know I had permission, and then took my marker and carefully drew one little happy face on her toe. I decided it looked lonely and needed a buddy. Therefore, I drew another little happy face. Then I filled up each toe with flowers and little designs. I said, “Look, Emily! You have toe buddies.”

She smiled. She loved her toe buddies and asked for more for her other foot. It wasn’t enough. What else could we draw? It was almost Christmas and she asked for a “Grinch” tattoo. I took a stab at drawing one on the bottom of her foot. Not only was she happy, but her other three sisters also started coveting the experience. They lined up on the sofas with their bare feet sticking out wanting their own versions of toe buddies and foot tattoos. I finished drawing Madison’s Nut Cracker and a Rudy, Rudolph for Lizzie, but could barely finish Ally’s tattoo because we both laughed incessantly due to her ticklishness and my inability to draw a single line without making her crack-up. Within a short time, the quietness of the house had evolved from hushed pen strokes to raucous laughing and eventually merry dancing as we stood up and brought our toe buddies and foot tattoos to life. It’s amazing how much fun we can have with a pen, our imaginations and our bodies. After that time, I always kept markers in my purse. Sometimes when we are at restaurants and have to wait for a long time, I pull out a marker and we embark on body art. It makes waiting much eaiser.

Note: Crayola makes a nice set of markers that is washable and non-toxic!

No comments: